Saturday, March 31, 2012

SXSW 2012 Detailed Outline Day 4

Day Four
Saturday, March 17, 2012

-Pete and Lisa dropped us off at the Radisson Hotel in downtown Austin

-Went to The Coffee Cup

My Review and Comments:
I tried the Vanilla Latte on ice.  I highly recommend this.  It’s like drinking heaven in heaven (Austin, Texas = heaven).

-Austin Convention Center—Style X (fashion exhibits, fashion shows and etc…)


-Mixology Townhouse
-Saw:  Audic Empire 

Audic Empire
My Review and Comments: 
Audic Empire is a Reggae band from Austin, Texas. 

I met Josh one of the guitarists in the band at Waterloo Records on Wednesday.  He told me about his band and Mary and I went to his band’s show on Saturday.

I really liked their performance a lot.  I thought they were a very polished band.  I hinted some rock, blues and psychedelic influences intertwined with their Reggae.  Very cool show and I loved their performance.

-Mechanical bull at Antone’s





 My Review and Comments:
We entered into the famous Antone’s and there was a guy with his acoustic guitar sitting on a stool pouring his heart out singing to an empty room.  My heart went out to that guy.

At Antone’s I got on the mechanical bull to only take a picture, not to ride it.  And a future note to keep to myself when I go back to Austin, Texas.  Don’t attempt riding the mechanical bull at Antone’s, because I’m too short to jump up and get on the bull.  Really?! It took me three times to jump up on the bull and I never sat on it.  I just laid on it.
- Latitude 30 for the showcase British Embassy Music SXSW 2012

-Ate at El Sol Y la Luna 


 My Review and Comments:
I ate Migas.  The Migas were delicious.  Moderately recommend.

-Austin Music Hall for Perez Hilton’s One Night in Austin Showcase
-Saw:  Kimbra / Ed Sheeran / Cher Llyod / Dragonette / Kreayshawn / DEV / Timbaland

Ed Sheeran
(Photo Taken By:  Mary Allen)

Timbaland and Perez Hilton
(Photo Taken By:  Mary Allen)


Kreayshawn
(Photo Taken  By:  Mary Allen)

Perez Hilton with the check for VH1's Save The Music
(Photo Taken By:  Mary Allen)
Dragonette
(Photo Taken By:  Mary Allen)
 My Review and Comments:
Well Mary and I originally were going to this showcase to go see Kreayshawn perform.  I thought this showcase was going to be in a little bar.  Plus I knew, but I didn’t realize at that time who all the artists were going to be performing alongside Kreayshawn, so I thought it would be easy to get into this little bar…see Kreayshawn and go.  Well, I was wrong.

We get to the venue and it was guest list only.  Somehow we got in.  I don’t think we were supposed to, but we did.  (And as I’m writing this I’m thinking what if someone really, really important reads this and I get in trouble for getting into Perez Hilton’s One Night in Austin Showcase.  Then another thought comes to me...it’s okay.  Who’s gonna do what now?  In about a month or two I’ll probably hear a knock at my door from the proper authorities. Oh, Boy!)

So, Mary and I are at this venue and that’s when we or at least I realize this is Perez Hilton’s One Night in Austin showcase.  I really didn’t know at the time who Perez Hilton was, but I’ve heard of him and I’ve heard of the Hilton Hotel chain.  Also we both realize that this showcase is kind of like VIP…hence the guest list.

The music was not my cup of tea.  I absolutely cannot stand pop music and this is what this showcase was.  It was pop music that is or is borderline mainstream.  This showcase is what I think shouldn’t be a showcase at SXSW, because of the mainstream appeal.

Nonetheless, we were there, we stayed.  At least all the proceeds from the ticket sales at Perez Hilton’s One Night In Austin Showcase was going to VH1’s Save The Music Foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment